Military Vehicles, February 1997,: TEXAS: Legality of military markings on historic vehicles

TEXAS: Legality of military markings on historic vehicles

Scott Strance (Strance@msn.com)
Fri, 28 Feb 97 23:14:58 UT

In Texas, there has been legislation passed that allows a former military
vehicle to be registered as such and use the hood numbers in place of license
plates. It is Dept of Transportation form VTR-136-M, revised 09/96. It's
title is Former Military Vehicle Registration Application.

They ask for your name, address etc and vehicle ID number. I quote from the
application: "A Registration Number may be selected by the applicant. If the
applicant does not select a registration number, one will be assigned by the
Department. The registration number shall be displayed in digits at least two
(2) inches in height in a design and location which conforms with the vehicles
official military design and markings".

The definition of Former Military Vehicle is as follows: "A former military
vehicle is defined as a vehicle that has been, but no longer is used by the
armed forces of a national government and displays markings indicating it was
a military vehicle. The vehicles may be used only for parades, club
activities, exhibitions, and other functions of public interest and will not
be used for regular transportation".

Regarding titles: "Vehicles registered as "former military vehicles" must be
titled in Texas. Please provide the title number in the appropriate box".

Photo: "Attach current photograph any size 3" x 3" or larger".

The definition is somewhat vague. I would consider a function of public
interest a 'maintenance run on a beautiful Sunday'. I would also have a
primary vehicle and not use this one as my daily driver. The general
classification is Antique automobiles with a military provision.

Some other items to note in Texas. If you go this route, you don't have to
install license plates to clutter the vehicle up. However, if you plan to use
it outside of the boundaries of the definition, and register it as a regular
vehicle, it is now subject to the Texas inspection criteria of horn, blinkers,
wipers, lights etc.

Hope this helps. Oklahoma is now working on a similar provision for their
military vehicles.

Scott