Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: WWII jeep

Re: WWII jeep

Andrew R. Beebe (abeebe@megalink.net)
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 17:24:21 -0500

Stu,

I'm sure some others will jump in here too, but it sure sounds like what
you found is NOT a WWII Jeep. If it has a M-38 body on it, it's probably
an M-38 or CJ-2A/3A. There are a number of indications that this Jeep
probably wasn't built before 1946, hence after WWII.

The motor with "Jeep" cast in the head is from the CJ line. The MB's/GPW
didn't have that. Of course it's possible, or even likely, that the motor
was changed so lets continue. Are you sure it's an M-38 body and not a
CJ-2A or 3A? The pirmary difference between the 3A and the M38 as far as
looks go, is the M-38's had grab handles on the sides and a metal bar
protecting each headlight.

Even if the Jeep isn't from WWII, or a military model even. Depending on
the overall condition, especially with rust in the floorboards and
supports underneath, the value is more of what you're willing to pay. If
you have your heart set on a WWII Jeep, I would let this one pass, as I
still come across the occasional MB and GPW in the $500 to $1000 range.

If you just want a "flat fendered" Jeep and the condition of this one
isn't too bad, as far as rust goes. You might want to consider it. Even
the old CJ's are getting $6000 to $7000 restored.

IMO, a Jeep is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. I bought my
first MB for $500, which was a good deal, but it cost another $6000 in
parts alone to restore it to it's original glory.

Andy Beebe
'44 Willys MB