Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: MVPA Response to the M151/HMMWV/Gama Goat Issue

Re: MVPA Response to the M151/HMMWV/Gama Goat Issue

Saeid Shafizadeh (pars@ntr.net)
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:40:26 -0500

Jim Rice wrote:

> An open letter to all MVPA members and MV hobbyists:
>
> The MVPA was informed by federal government officials many months ago
> that possession of ex-U.S. military M151A2s, Gama Goats, and HMMWVs
> could present problems for our members. The government maintains that
> none of these vehicles have ever been released to the civilian market
> through legitimate channels.

Some people have a tendency of accepting government's assertions and
allegations as factual truth. I can assure you that the above statement
if in fact, was made by the government, is not entirely true with
respect to Gama Goats and HMMWV.
Few years ago, I inspected a HMMWV at the DRMO Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.
A fellow whom I have known for many years and has a surplus yard in
central Kentucky, had the highest bid and purchased that HMMWV. The
same fellow has a number of Gama Goats at his yard most of which came
from the DRMOs in Kentucky.
Therefore, the statement that "none of these vehicles have ever been
released to the civilian market through legitimate channels." is just
not true with respect to those two vehicles.

http://www.ntr.net/~pars

Good Luck!
Saeid Shafizadeh