Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: do my numbers match????

Re: do my numbers match????

Andrew R. Beebe (abeebe@megalink.net)
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:10:52 -0500

GPW engine and serial numbers matched from the factory. The serial number
should be on the left side of the frame near the shock mount. The engine
serial will be on a boss (smooth area) on the right side of the engine
near the oil fill pipe. The number will be stamped, not the one case into
the block. Both numbers should start with GPW... If the numbers are
different than your engine was changed at some point, which is not
uncommon. If the engine serial number starts with MB, than it is a Willys
motor. I purchased a '42 MB a while ago that had a GPA (Ford Amphibious
Jeep) engine in it.

The Ford script's (with Ford stamped on the back of the body) were only
produced for the first few months. Although, it's not uncommon to find a
Ford script, the body's that weren't stamped were produced in much larger
numbers.

--Andy Beebe
'44 Willys MB