Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: towing 6X6

Re: towing 6X6

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 21:28:57 +0100

chrispho@wave.park.wy.us wrote:

> Is it possible to tow a 6X6 drive lines removed around a100 miles without
> damage (clutch failure or other) to a 1/2 ton pickup? Has any one tried
> this or has experience which could help me?
>
> Thanks for all the help.
> Todd Hall

Hi Todd,

We once towed a DUKW with a CCKW using a tow bar and it worked out fine.
The only problem was the brakes, we eventually succeeded in stopping
the DUKW, but it took a few miles (we were doing 40mph). It's better
not to tow a 6x6 with your 1/2 ton pick-up unless you are doing 5mph.
Try to find someone who has wrecker or something else real big.
Good luck!!

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Holland