Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: International Tractor

Re: International Tractor

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 19:16:22 -0800

BRUISER500@aol.com wrote:

> Here is one for all you big truck fans. A guy here (Bowling Green, KY. USA)
> has an army 1945 International tractor truck for sale. He is clearing off a
> junk yard lot and wants to sell it. I climbed inside the cab and looked at
> the data plate and
> it said:
> Marmon-Herrington Mod. #H-542-11C
> 5 Ton
> Mfr. Serial Number 2054
> Date of Del. May 1945
> Does anybody know what this is? It has been sitting outside in the weather
> for a while, so surface body rust all over. The windows are busted out of it
> and missing a gas tank. There is a dent in the roof of the truck and in the
> driver sided door. Needs a lot of TLC. It looks like it has potential
> however. The guy said it ran when it was parked (how long it has been parked
> is unknown). Would somebody be interested in this vehicle?
> bob klein
> bruiser500@aol.com

Bob

This truck is also known as a M426 tractor. This truck was an IHC
design built by marmon-herrington and Mack. These trucks were used
extensively by the USMC, the army RED BALL EXPRESS and on the Burma
road. Of the 10,978 built, 3200 were built by M-H. I would love to
have one but being on the west coast and having no space for one will
have to pass. Hope this helps.

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys
Seattle, Wa