Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: corrosion protection

Re: corrosion protection

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:58:02 +0930

Torfinn Sørnes wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with spray-on zinc from spray cans. Does this
> give better rust protection than rust preventing paint.

Torfinn

I have used both the spray can version and a single pack type of zinc
rich
paint on my MV parts for quite some time. The spray can type I use is
made/marketed by the same company tha makes 'CRC 5-56' spray on
penetrating
oil. It appears to be quite good but is not cheap (not in Australia at
least). The single pack ie., normal paint version is sold by any number
of
companies and I have used that a lot. There would seem to be 2 rules to
follow:
1) Mix it continually as it settles out real quick otherwise you
end up only painting on the binder and all the zinc stays in the can!
2) Don't put it on thick as it doesn't seem to have much strength!

It always seems to need a top coat of a different paint, say gloss
enamel as the zinc paint appears to be quite porous and will not
provide a seal.

> I am thinking of
> covering the underside of my Ford GPW body with zinc for rust protection,
> after sandblasting of course.

Even if (perhaps especially if) you use zinc as a rust protection you
will
need to use an 'underbody protection coating' in Australia it is called
"Body Schultz" heavens knows why, and acts as a sound dampener and also
as a resilient padding against stone damage to the corrosion prevention
paint, it is like spray on tar. So in effect you may have to use up to
3 different products!

Be very wary of '2 pack' paints they are quite often very dangerous
as they can contain a very deadly heavy metal poison which is part
of the chemical reaction. There have been
instances of people dying within a week of spraying a vehicle, noteably
2 teachers in a college in my state. I am told CARC paint falls into
this
category.

Regards from Australia

--