Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re[2]: Towing of CJ2A

Re[2]: Towing of CJ2A

dunlops@racotek.com
Mon, 10 Mar 97 09:58:41

I used to tow my CJ-2a but have since purchased a trailer. I don't
recommend towing them. Here's why:

[1] Stress on the Ross cam-and-lever steering gear. Unlike the newer
recirculating ball units the friction on these is high enough that you
put an enormous amount of pressure on the bellcrank and pitman arm.

[2] Tire wear. Towbars are an inexact science and you will scuff the
tires, particularly when going around corners.

[3] Drivetrain wear. Unless you have freewheeling hubs, front and
rear, you will end up spinning the driveshafts faster than their
design speed when towing at 55-70 MPH. Plus there are supposedly
lubrication problems with the transfer case on extended tows.

[4] You can't tell when something breaks. I ruined a transfer case
because it had been leaking oil and went dry during an extended tow.
The noise would have given it away if I had been driving the Jeep at
the time but with it towed behind me I couldn't hear it. By the same
token you can end up with brakes dragging etc if you aren't careful
and you won't know until you stop.

[5] Safety. Unless the tow vehicle is several times heavier, turning
and stopping ability is compromised.

-Steve Dunlop
Minneapolis, MN