Military Vehicles, March 1997,: CUCV versus Civ.

CUCV versus Civ.

David C. Decker (campdeck@infomagic.com)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:35:27 -0800

Carter Ledbetter wrote:

> This is a little off the wall, but I have been looking for a M1008
> CUCV (Diesel 24volt Blazer, 83 to 87) in at least reasonable
> condition, with NO luck. Well, I could have gotten one the last time
> I was on TDY, but that's another story... And after driving to
> Florida a year ago for some that were described as "excellent" and
> discovering that everyone of them had blown rear mains, bent frames,
> and worse...
>
> Anyone seen any lately?
>
> Carter Ledbetter
> Cincinnati, OH USAPerhaps I can help. First if you want the Blazer version, which just so
happens is what I am looking for, it is known as the M1009. A CUCV is a
Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle modified for use of the Army. The M1008
is the 5/4 ton tactical cargo truck, General Motors Model K30903 Pickup.
The M1009 is the Model K10516 Blazer. The M1010 is a 5/4 ton tactical
truck Ambulance, General Motors Model K30903. The M1028 is a 5/4 ton
tactical truck cargo shelter carrier, General Motors Model K30903
Pickup.It is to carry the S-250 Commo Shelter. The M1031 is a 5/4 ton
tactical truck chassis, General Motors Model K30903 chassis/cab. The
M889/N883/M892 are the Dodge based CUCV. I just priced one for $5K in
Tucson. At those prices, I decided to go with the civilian 6.2 diesal
Blazer, that way I will already have Air conditioning, cruise control and
the Silverago package. I saw one of those down in Phoenix for $5K.