Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: Public Hummer Awareness

Re: Public Hummer Awareness

Chris (m38a1@sisna.com)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:52:06 -0700

At 12:43 AM 3/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Chuck Chriss and anybody else...
> Your idea about going toward congress with the 151A2 and Hummers is
>worth pursing. The ace in the hole may be the Hummer, after desert storm
>everybody, friend or foe of military vehicles, knows about, loves, wants
>or can't live without a Hummer. Let the issue of the Hummer be your
>rally cry, while quietly bring along the other vehicles that are not as
>well known or have gotten bad press for so many years. Waking up the
>sleeping masses like myself might be accomplished by putting a form
>letter on the mil-veh list that we could each fill in the blanks to our
>respective congressman. The letter could then be A...emailed B...Faxed
>C...Mailed... hopefully all three. The down side to this is there are
>only
>400 or so (?) of us on the mil-veh list. How to expand? The only two
>magazines for this hobby(sickness) might even join the cause and publish
>the letters to be mailed by each reader. (Well I said Might)
> Another vehicle for the cause could be the national news programs that
>highlight "your tax dollars at work", ABC NBC CBS are our friends. Are
>there any contacts out there in the mil-veh list? There are other news
>media format shows that love to bring to the forfront oddities in
>thinking of our government leaders.
> Last but not least...Isn't there a retired general, famous for desert
>storm that owns and drives a Hummer?
> My two cents worth has been affected by inflation.
> Also I do not own nor do I want a Hummer, however I collect jeeps and
>own a M151 and M151A1 but Willys is my addiction.
> Tom Woodburn..........southern Indiana

I think you've got the perfect strategy here. Especially if you have a clip
of a HMMWV being crushed! I know a couple local TV reporters (one NBC, one
ABC) and I'll try and bounce the idea off them. It would be great to have a
video clip to show them when I pitch it though. Any one out there have one,
or know of an upcoming de-mil?

Chris Davis
'62 M151 #2D1090
Salt Lake City, UT