Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: GPW restore

Re: GPW restore

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:50:16 -0800

Brian Hill wrote:

> I just started my first GPW restoration. It is a 1944 SN# 227048 delivered on 10/4/44. All three serial no.s
> match but the body is too far gone to restore. I plan to use a french made repo body from Sarafan Auto Supply.
> My first question is how to remove the steering wheel without the correct wheel puller or where do I get the
> puller?
> Does anyone have a GPW windshield to trade for a M38 windshield?
> What is the proper WWII O.D. paint to use and where can I find It?
> Does anyone have any first hand experience with the quality of the French repo bodies.
>
> Thank you in advance for any info
>
> Brian Hill
> brian@heany.com

Brian-

Here is how I pulled my steering wheel. First start putting liquid wrench in the splines for at least a week
before you attempt to remove the steering wheel. Next, you can use a gear puller (preferably three prong) to
remove the steering wheel. I will assume you have already removed the nut. put the nut back on the steering
shaft leaving approximatly 1/8" between it and the steering wheel. Now use a piece of steel with a small hole
or alot of washers and put this on top of your steering wheel nut. Then use the gear puller to "pop" the
steering wheel loose. Use your judgement and don't "reaf" on it at first, you may have to reapply liquid
wrench and possibly heat to loosen the rust. be careful not to put to much pressure on the steering wheel nut
because it could collapse from the pressure, luckily they make repros just in case. I assume you need to pull
the steering wheel to remove the body, correct? Hope this helps

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys
Seattle, Wa