Military Vehicles, April 1997,: [MV] M18 Hellcat and M39 AUV

[MV] M18 Hellcat and M39 AUV

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:48:15 +0200

>Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 18:43:03 -0400
>I would like to request any info on the driveline of the M-18 hellcat,
>ie the transmission, transfer case, and any other parts. Also I am
>looking for any info on the turret operations and equipment. If you
>have any info on the location of a M-18, please let me know. I would be
>interested in a future trade if possible for another AFV. or tank.
>Thanks for your time
> Jason

The M18 Hellcat has the Continental R975-C1 or -C4 9 cylinder, air-cooled
radial engine. It is the same as used in the A1 types of Sherman tank, but
it is fitted in a different manner.
The gearbox was the model 900T Torquematic transmission, I do not know in
what other vehicles this might have been used.
I understand the idler, road wheels and tracks are interchangeable from the
M24 Chaffee if you use the Chaffee's drive hub and sprocket. Also, torsion
bars and arms are probably the same.
The 76-mm M1A2 gun (and as far as I know the turret traversing mechanism) is
identical to the one found on very late model Shermans.
I know of M18 engines and M24 parts for sale. No complete M18s, though.

The M39 Armored Utility Vehicle is a turretless version of the M18. It was
used as a cargo carrier, gun tractor, personnel carrier, etc. during WW-2 in
in Korea. I guess it can be seen as the same sort of vehicle as the M20
(based on the M8 armoured car).
Who knows of a surviving example of the M39? (Aberdeen Proving Ground museum?)

Regards,
Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands