Military Vehicles, April 1997,: Re: [MV] original paint/markings

Re: [MV] original paint/markings

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:04:30 +0200

MAB5%GSV_BLD%SJR_RGN_FRE1@go50.comp.pge.com wrote:

> I am new to this list (and military vehicles) so please excuse the basic
> question. I have bought a DUKW, delivery date December, 1944. It seems
> relatively complete (to my untrained eye) and in reasonable shape for a 53
> year WWII vehicle. What surprised me is the apparent original paint and
> markings on it: I can still barely read the painted notes to the driver in the
> drivers compartment, the USMC numbers are still legible on both sides of the
> hull, etc. It looks like all the data plates are there, as well as the
> original plywood flooring in the drivers compartment with words routed into
> the wood itself. My intent is to eventually restore and repaint it, while
> enjoying the unique fun factor all DUKW's seem to have.
>
> Is a DUKW with original paint and markings (I think) so unique that I should
> not repaint it? It seems a shame to let the surface rust go unchecked. What
> about documenting the vehicle and markings with video tape or photographs
> before painting for reference purposes? Anyone else out there already done
> this? Is there a FAQ on DUKW's?
>
> Thanks for any help you may be able to give
>
> Mike Bennett 1944 DUKW
> PG&E
> MAB5@pge.com
> (209) 434-9343
>
> ===

Mike, what you want to do with your DUKW is up to you, I personally
would love to have an WW2 vehicle still in original paint an markings
etc. Maybe you know David Tallichet's B-24 "Delectable Doris" which is
still in the original paint, looks great! The only problem with the
DUKW is that it has to float, and the only way to really see what
the hull is like is to have it sandblasted, or any other treatment
that removes the paint. We thought that our DUKW was in good shape,
that is untill we sandblasted it. After the sandblasting there wasn't
much DUKW left. I haven't seen your DUKW, maybe yours has a good
hull, you never know. You really must take lots of pictures of the
DUKW inside and out, these pictures can be a big help during the
restoration, also take pictures of the marking especially registration
number and unit markings, could be usefull if you want to know
something about your DUKW's history.
Good luck!

Best Regards,

Auke Dijkstra