Military Vehicles, April 1997,: Re: [MV] UNIMOGs and respect

Re: [MV] UNIMOGs and respect

Greg Trent (gtrent@silcom.com)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:39:15 +0000

Hi Dean,

sorry about the time lag, but I just got back from the Waterford MVCC
meet.

> Does anyone know:
> What variety of wood is used on the decks of UNIMOG troop transports?

I'll get the answer to you ASAP. Since I'm fried from a recent
Unimog trip, all I can remember is that it starts with "A", and is a
tropical hardwood. No one is using it anymore due to the cost.

I have a 1963 404.1 that needs repairs, and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Lot's of people use oak, but there actually were some trucks that
used treated pine, so that might be an option.

> I am also looking for a good tire source. I need four Michelin, or equivalent, 10.5R x 20 MPT, 8 or 10 ply, tires for the 'mog. They are uni-directional, with the 'broken-banana' tread design.

These are referred to as the Michelin XL or XLS. For reasonably
priced used units, and maybe some new ones, try giving the Unimog
Wherehous a call. 1-888-4UNIMOG. Dirk also has some Uniroyals,
Dunlops, Pneumat, etc in different patterns. And of course the
standard "NATO" pattern. If you can't get a hold of him (he might
have left for Germany already), talk to Rodney and see what he has.
Let him know I sent you, and likewise for the next two dealers.

If you are looking for new ones, try Jim
Ince at Eurotech International, or Michael Smith at United Parts
Service.

Regards, Greg
The Unimog Registry/MogNet
C/O Greg Trent
P.O. Box 1242
Goleta, CA 93116-1242
Ph/Fax 805-965-8889
$10 per year in USA/Canada.
Call for other rates.
Make checks/MO's payable to Greg Trent.
Quarterly newsletter with tech tips, stories, rally reports, upcoming events, classified ads.
The contact place for Unimog info in the USA.