Military Vehicles, April 1997,: Re: [MV] Pioneer Compass Mount

Re: [MV] Pioneer Compass Mount

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:28:40 +0930

Terry Schroeder wrote:

> Recently purchased a Pioneer Compass for a DUKW. The mounting bracket
> attached is not for the DUKW. It has the following numbers on it :8208992
> and C100705. It is U shaped with 2 extending arms; solid brass. Any idea
> what vehicles it fits?
Terry

The bracket you describe sounds very similar to the
bracket that suits the Sherril AEG compass for the M8.

Be aware that when I received my compass it appeared to
have the old off-white luminous paint on it. Unlike most
instruments this paint was not sealed behind a piece of
glass and a gasket. The problem is that the paint is
deteriorating with age and poses an inhalation danger.
All that luminous paint both British and American up till
the mid 1960's was Radioactive (Radium)!

My compass tested VERY Radioactive and so did the mount
which was seperately packed.

Normally, the vehicle instruments do not pose too much of
a problem as they are sealed. But, the compass external
markings are not. I strongly recommend you get it tested.
If you cannot locate someone, try your local Hospital
Radiology department.

If it is radioactive then you will need to dispose of it
in a safe way eg., hand it in to your Health Authority.

If you read "Wheels and Tracks" you might have seen mention
of surplus vehicles coming out of Western European countries
minus all there instruments - this is the reason.

Also look in "Army Motors" letters to the editor, roughly
18 months ago.

If in doubt get advice from someone with the appropriate
qualifications!

Regards
Doug

M8 GREYHOUND & Other Armoured Vehicles