Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Voltage reduction

Re: [MV] Voltage reduction

John Emery (jemery@execpc.com)
Thu, 1 May 1997 23:36:00 -0500

>I sure there is a device available to reduce 24 volts to 12 volts, but when I
>ask electronics wizards, I get a huge run around.

In the event that a 'device' is not available, it doesn't take to much of a
'wizard' to figure out a crude solution. You/we may call it a 24 volt
system but it's really 28 as far as the alternator is concerned. So if you
want to drop 28 to say 14 which is where your normal 'car' system would be
then try 20 Silicon diodes [ (28v - 14v) / 0.7v = 20 ] in series, forward
biased of course, of appropriate current rating between the 28v terminal and
the 12 v device. Two problems with this, 1) that's a lot of soldering and
2) if a (one or more) diode fails by shorting out you will get increasing
voltage to your device. There are other more elegant solutions but I can't
doodle in email so I wont try. Good luck!

je