Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Wed, 7 May 1997 11:26:54 -0400

"If a Jeep rusts in the forest but no one knows it, is it still a Jeep?"

> Actually, Todd Paisley and I are working on a web page where we will be
> seeking to register the Jeep VIN and the serial number, casting number
and
> assembly date of every major component (engine, trans, transfer case,
drive
> axles, generator, distibutor, etc) of every flat fender Jeep worldwide,
> military and civilian. We would also ask that the condition of the Jeep
be
> reported, as well as registering all loose components, especially
engines,
> and identifying them as such. Rusted hulks and basket cases of every
flat fender variety are welcome, in fact, sought after contributors to
this registry as we feel that some of the most legitimate information
will come from these unrestored "survivors". We also realize that many
components will have been changed but with a large enough sampling we
expect to see clear
> patterns emerge from the database whereby we can tell which components
have
> NOT been swapped and determine what serial number, casting number and
date
> code a replaced component should have had. This will enable everyone to
> do a more accurate restoration, if they choose. We will be providing
> pictures of all pertinent numbers and codes to assist everyone in finding
> these locations. We will also be asking anyone who is willing, to mail
us
> a photo and/or rubbing of all the engine stamping numbers you can. We
have
> come up with a method of determining if numbers have been self-stamped
(we saw you) but we need a large sampling to accomplish this.

> This is a mammoth undertaking (we know it's crazy but we can't help
> ourselves) which explains why it's not up and running yet. We'll let you
> know when it's on-line but if you'd like to help in the meantime, we'd
appreciate it if you'd get this information from any Jeeps you may be
getting rid of so it is not lost forever. You can either save it or send
it to us and we''ll save it until we are ready for it. Also we are not
quite sure what to call this page, so if anyone has a killer good idea for
a name let us know. Sorry, no prizes if we use your suggestion, just the
warm glow of knowing you helped us.