Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] RE sandblasting

Re: [MV] RE sandblasting

chrispho@wave.park.wy.us
Fri, 9 May 1997 08:14:18 -0600

>I have found a couple of things with sandblasting:
>With the siphon thype which I believe is what you have, they clog about every
>30 seconds. When the flow slows down. stop and put uyour finger over the nozzel
>and pull the trigger. This will blast the sand back into the container. Remove
>your finger and continue.

>Steve

Hello
I've got one of those syphon type sandblasters and I've fixed it so
I get very few clogs. I took out the original syphon tube and replaced it
with a brake line the same size. On the inside I coiled it up so that it
is pointing straight down. Then I took a cap for that size brake line
(mine was 3/8) and drilled a small hole into it. I started small and ended
up with about a 3/16 hole for sand. Probably have to have a different size
hole for different grade sands. With this setup the sand doesn't bridge
across the syphon tube. Also you can change the hole size for different
sand. I think the important thing is to have the syphon tube pointing
straight down so the sand can't clog the end. I cut the brake fitting off
for the outside and clamped the hose to it. Now the biggest problem is in
high humidity when the canister is about empty the sand doesn't flow.
I have also tried a bag of copper slag, about half the price but
very course. It might work in a better in a quality sandblaster but for my
setup it is worth the money to get good sand.
hope this helps someone.

Todd Hall
Cody, WY, USA