Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

GIjeeps@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 23:33:18 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-14 01:07:43 EDT, bmead@atl.mindspring.com (Brian &
Robin Mead) writes:

<< In an earlier post GIjeeps@aol.com said:
>A jeep that can be restored to a good likeness
>of original configuration at a cost less than or equal the fair market
value.
>I use this measurement because it seems likely that any jeep which has
>deteriorated beyond this point will eventually be scrapped by some fool or
>parted out by some crafty fellow such as myself. (or restored by some
glutton
>for punishment who doesn't know any better.)
If I can trade the engine, transmission, & possibly the axles to make a
complete (still surface rusty & missing stuff like the blackout light etc.)
Willys, am I a greater glutton for punishment than the rest of the people
trying to restore their first Willys or just an equal glutton? Please be
truthful! By the way, I paid $150 for the Willys with the good body & $450
for the Willys that runs but has rusted body panels so I don't have a great
amount invested yet >>
Before you take my light hearted comment personally I should point out that
combining the assemblies of two jeeps to create one good one is far different
from the the very trying task you would face if you tried to restore the
worst of the two (which would qualify you as a true glutton for
punishment). The tags can be removed from the rusted body and placed on the
saveable one without much chance of the sheriff noticing. Unless he has a
registry of American Central's production body numbers list with every jeep
body's production number and a corresponding list from Willys showing which
serial number went to which body he won't know if you had to switch a tag
here or there. The chances of him having these lists is limited by the fact
that there are no such lists. In fact you don't know for sure that the tags
weren't switched decades ago by someone else. (Unlikely but it did happen) In
otherwords do whatever you have to to make your jeep legal to title and don't
lose alot of sleep over it. As long as you are not switching tags to cover a
theft you don't have much to worry about. As long as the tags match the title
you are OK.