Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Wire tags.

Re: [MV] Wire tags.

Chuck_Chriss/QXCOM@qx.com
Thu, 15 May 1997 09:22:47 -0700

Yes, you can transfer the tags. I have done a lot of that in adapting mil
wiring to my CJ7. One thing: the metal tags are very soft so
they scratch up easily. When taking them off and crimping them
back onto the new wire, be careful not to put your tool on the
surface with the numbers. Put a little WD40 on the wire and the
tags will slip and loosen up making it easier to remove them.
(Not always -- if crimped too hard they may not slip).

Another approach, if you are not concerned with military authenticity, is
to use shrink sleeve numbers. These are available in
electronics stores and have numbers printed on short lengths of
shrink tube. Various colors are available. You just slip the
right combo of numbers onto the wire and use a heat gun (or
lighter) to shrink them permanently in place. Not military, but
a nice clean look. There are also adhesive tags etc. etc.

Good luck,
chuck

H. Stegeman wrote:

> I am doing an 1956 M38A1 restoration. Very soon I have to make some
> new wire-looms.
> Every wire has a number and each end of the wire has a aluminium tag
> with it's number marked on it.

Henk,

I re-wired my 37 a while back and the new wire had plastic tags. I just
removed the aluminum tags and placed them on the new wire without any
problem. May of taken a little longer but, had no problems with
removing the aluminum tags. Just bend them enough to get 'em off.

--
Mark
Rapid City, SD    ______