Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] M38A1 questions

Re: [MV] M38A1 questions

Stu Ellis (stu@bit-net.com)
Sat, 17 May 1997 17:06:55 -0400

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am restoring two M38A1's from 1952 at this time. The serial #'s
> are 17490 and 18879. I have taken apart the fenders, grills, and hoods of
> both and there are several differences I have noticed between the two.
> On the front frame crossmember of 17490 it is straight, then on 18879 in the
> center of the crossmember there is a bracket welded on in the center and a
> bolt goes through grill first then into the bracket. This makes the grills
> totally different. Is there a reason for the change to the bracket and the
> grill?
> Next on the fenders of the 17490 there are supports bolted to the frame
> from the fender around the axle, and on the newer jeep there are supports
> in the fender which do not get bolted to the frame, because there are no
> holes in the frame where the fender could be bolted. Is there another
> reason for this change?
> It seems to me that they are only about 1400 apart in #'s and I would not
> exvpect any changes such as these. Also what other changes could have taken
> place between the two?
> I went to a surplus store today where they have M416 trailers for
> sale from 1966-67 for around $450.
> They appear in good condition no rust a few dings, but all in all fairly
> good. Are these a proper trailer for a M38A1? and is $450 a fair price?
> Also at the surplus store they had hard tops for M151 jeeps for only
> $150 they said they are still in boxes.
>
> Mark Johnson
> Harrisburg, Pa
> 1952 M38A1 (2)
> pjohnson@ezonline.com
>
> ===

Hi! I have ser. #18060 del 9/52. My fenders bolt to the frame. Canadian
M38A1 jeeps did not have these supports on their fenders. My hood
numbers are #20960186. There is no bolt on mine thru the grill. My grill
has hinges. There is no plate welded to the cross member. Could yours be
for winch? Stu

--
Stu & Meredith  Derry, NH, USA
"Live Free Or Die" 1952 M38A1