Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] late production MB

Re: [MV] late production MB

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Thu, 22 May 1997 16:26:22 -0400

It appears your friend got just what he bargained for, a 45 MB with the
correct frame tag. Not sure what information you're using to determine the
production
date but I'd say it was built in the spring of 45, not fall of 45. One
reason I say this is that MB435475 was accepted April 16, 1945 and,
obviously, built some time prior to that. Not sure how anxious the Army
was for Jeeps at that point and how much backlog they let build up before
accepting a lot from Willys.

By Sept 45 Willys was making full production line CJ2As. Albeit, the early
version with pioneer tool slots, column shift T-90s and the MB style full
floating rear (with the civilian 5.38 ratio). The prototype or
"transitional" AgriJeeps and CJ2s (not CJ2As) had not only all been built
and tested long before but it appears that, coincidentally, they were all
sold off around Sept 45.

If by "civilian production using military parts" you are referring to the
AgriJeeps, those, had already been built by the summer of 44. A dozen, or
so of these were built with an early version of the 2A body which had a
tailgate, an MB style grille with special brackets that eliminated the
"flip-up" feature of the headlights, cast brass "JEEP" letters on the hood,
windshield frame and rear body and they were all painted OD. They are
easily confused with MBs, especially, if the JEEP plaques are removed but
have VINs which read CJ2-XX. The frame tag is similar to the late MB but
doesn't say Scout Car.

After the Agrijeeps, Willys made a version very similar to the eventual
production 2A. The most obvious difference is the military style grille
and stamped letters which say JEEP where 2As say Willys. Also, normal
colors, like tan, green (not OD), and probably blue or black and red. They
also had some very subtle differences in bracketry which you'd have to be
quite tuned-in to to detect. These also continued to be numbered CJ2-XX.

The time frames I mention above are derived from the dated components of
the ones I am familiar with. As far as production CJ2As, all the dated
components of the first CJ2As built seem to indicate they were built in the
summer of 45, probably June.

If anyone out there has 3 or 4 of these they are using for parts for their
MB or 2A, please e-mail me.

Regards,

JP