Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] late production MB

Re: [MV] late production MB

john edwards (ozjeep@hutch.com.au)
Sat, 24 May 1997 08:21:20 -0700

GIjeeps@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-22 13:02:22 EDT, OKMTRPOOL@aol.com writes:
>
> << One of our members in TMVG just called me to say he had
> just bought an MB which is supposed to be a 1945, but the data plate on
> the
> chassis has the JEEP trademark and WILLYS SCOUT CAR with a serial number
> MB459623, indicating production between 11 Sept 45 and 21 Sept 45. Is this
> anearly civilian production using military parts? >>
>
> I have MB 354134 7-24-44 which uses the Jeep marked Willys Scout Car tag.
> This is just the later style tag and is perfectly correct for an MB of the
> vintage you describe. CJs did not use these tags.
>
> ===

Folks,

We had about 200 or these units land in Australia towards War's end. One
lot was unpacked the other stayed crated. Not all had the SCOUT plate.
But all appear to have a very large and lumpy pintle hook. One of my W&T
issues has a photo of it.

Jeeps from this period had chassis ranges in the MB373 series and
engines in MB478 series, so our experts in the US are correct.

Sorry to say that I have accounted for all of the crated jeeps. They
were unpacked in the late 40's and early 50's. But those that still
exist appear to be in near mint condition.

Regards

John (History On Wheels) ~ Sydney Australia