Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] GPW detailing

Re: [MV] GPW detailing

Scott Watson (scottw@telis.org)
Wed, 28 May 1997 05:29:37 -0700

Michael Meister wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I have a qustion concerning proper detailing of the 6-V generator and
> starter for my GPW. It appears at some point they were rebuilt and had a
> shot of black applies to all surfaces. However I'm guessing that the
> rear plates (that hold the brushes) were cadmium plated and the pulley of
> the generator as well as the strater drive housing were bare metal, (the
> remainder being black).
> Again, I don't have any good pictures of these items to go by and it sure
> would be a pain to go back an redo them at a later date. Also, does
> anyone know where I can get the correct data tags for these items in new
> condition?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

> Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
> Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
> Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
> Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
> College Station, Texas
> --Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
> http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
> mike@agen.tamu.edu
>
> ===
Mike,
I have an NOS GPW generator to compare to and believe your observations
to be correct except that the pulley casting was painted black also. The
paint appears to be semi-gloss more to the gloss side. The data plates
{decals) available are not correct. The spelling is right, the info is
right, but size and typeface or character are wrong. This is an issue
that has irratated me for sometime, so much so that I am working on
reproducing the correct data plates for the GPW generators, starters,
and filterettes. Will advise when available. Scot