Military Vehicles, June 1997,: RE: [MV] Jeep oil filter

RE: [MV] Jeep oil filter

Dunlop, Steve (DunlopS@racotek.com)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:11:10 -0500

David,

The oil filter canister is attached to the right (right side of vehicle)
side
of the engine using a bracket that fits under three of the right front
head
nuts. That is, it is at the top of the engine rather than the side or
bottom
that is common in newer vehicles.

The canister itself is about 8" in diameter and 14" high. The top is
slightly
domed and has a hex nut in the center. To replace the element, you
remove the hex nut and pull the domed top off. The element is inside,
you
pull it out and replace it with a Fram C-4 or C-4p or equivalent, which
comes
with a new gasket for the domed top.

If you still can't find it, look for a hose that exits the top of the
timing cover
and follow that. It should lead to the oil filter.

Some CJ-2As were retrofitted with aftermarket spin-on filter kits; if
this
was done the filter might be somewhere else.

-Steve Dunlop
Minneapolis
1947 CJ-2a