Military Vehicles, June 1997,: [MV] Re: Cummins TD engine swap for M37

[MV] Re: Cummins TD engine swap for M37

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:57:23 -0500

At 11:11 AM 6/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Steve,
>
>Last week I got a look at a 92 Dodge 4wd pickup with the Cummins 6-cyl
>5.9Liter (360cu in) Turbo Diesel in it. I made some rough measurments
>and came up disappointed. The B5.9L is a tight fit in the 92 PU. There is
>38 inches clearance between the firewall and the back of the radiator.
>On my M37 there is only about 34 inches, so the radiator would have to
>be moved forward for this engine to fit. It would also be a tight squeeze
>laterally, as the turbo on the right side needs 18 inches clear from the
>engine center line.
>
>Maybe someone on the list has made this conversion and can share their
>experiences with us.
>
>Regards,
>
>Gil Huguley, '53 M37
>Methow, WA USA
>email gil@usei.com

Thanks for the info, Gil. Hot-rodders do lots of body/firewall mods to
squeeze bigger engines into old compartments, but I don't think many
restorers will buy into that, especially with MVs. The engine might work in
another MV, though.

Does anybody know the dimensions on Chevy 292 c.i. and Ford 300 c.i. in-line
6s? Those are both good engines and certainly stronger than the old Dodge
motors. The Dodge people out there might try the slant-six, but that seems
awefull wide. Anybody ever try it?

Steve Allen, Rolla, MO, USA