Military-Vehicles: [Fwd: Re: [MV] M-1009 Blazer]

[Fwd: Re: [MV] M-1009 Blazer]

David C. Decker (campdeck@infomagic.com)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:07:02 -0700

--------------733DDD51C7C

attached letter
DD

--------------733DDD51C7C

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:38:31 -0700
From: "David C. Decker" <campdeck@InfoMagic.com>
To: Sean Bathrick <BATHRICK@sandiego.hcg.com>
Subject: Re: [MV] M-1009 Blazer

Sean Bathrick wrote:

Hi Sean. I own a M715 with a 350 Chevy, 400 auto and a NP205 in it. It has a bunch of
other mods, also. I just bought a 82 Chevy 1/2 PU LWB, 4x4, 6.2l diesal, 4 spd with OD
trans and NP208 transfer. I was going to buy a mil Blazer or PU but decided not to
because of the following good and bac points of each one. In my humble opinion:

Mil Blazer, M1009. 6.2 liter diesal, 400 Hydomatic auto, NP205 x-case. Rated (3/4,
1 ton??), Dana 60 front end, Dana 70 rear.
This is the way I have seen these trucks. I would guess that whatever you find MAY and
probably has been modified as it's service life happened. The Marines use their vehicles
and are smart enought to modify them for special uses and missions. This basically is a
truck set up with 24VDC electrical, lots of heavy duty stuff like tiedowns and the list
goes on. If you can get one for a good price, buy it. Buy it. Buy it.
I have a HD truck in my M715 Kaiser-Jeep PU. The cheapest Mil-spec CUCV I could find was
over the $4000 mark.
I found the 82 Chevy I bought in Truck Trader. It is:

Chevy Pickup, long wide bed, 4x4 wheel drive /hubs, 1/2 ton, 6.2 liter diesal, 4-speed
manual trans., 3 forward + OD, Transfer Case (I am not exactly certain at this time but
believe it to be either GM Corporate or NP208, either being chain driven. I have GM
posi-traction in the rear with (?) axle ratio. The body has just been repainted the
original 'Carmine Red' with chrome bumpers and a good chrome brush guard. The whole
truck is really clean. One of the major reasons for buying this was the diesal fuel
required. I will tow it behind my Detroit Diesal powered Blue Bird Bus. The bus has
extended range tanks so I am my own filling station.
The main reasons I bought the civilian PU were the facts:

I paid $2000 for it in Phoenix, AZ.
It has factory air conditioning, essential in the desert.
I will upgrade it as time and money permits to run whatever combination of parts I want
to. Right off the bat, I am trying to get the wheels to be able to run 9.00-16 tires on
it. These are the same size tires I have on my 715.
It has two batteries installed and the system is 12VDC, easier to manage.
It has the 6.2 engine which after tune-up, will probably last for another 100,000 miles.
The right parts from the right seller are fairly priced. That's why:
If you are considering buying anything powered by a 6.2 or 6.5 diesal, go the the
'6.2/6.5 Diesal Page' If you can't find it, let me know. The site is run by a guy in
Montana who really knows his GM diesals.
Since the body is basically the same as the mil-CUCVs, I can look around for a rolling
chassis and be rebuilding it until the weekend of 'the body swap'.
There are so many different ways of going about having a nice strong 4-by . One of the
biggest decision is what to start on. If the price is right for that mil-Blazer, go for
it and have fun.
One guy who sells mil-trucks and has a bunch of parts is:
Jack's Govt. Surplus
520-574-0300 Tucson, Arizona

I have bought from Jack over the years and he can help steer you about prices and parts.
Good luck, drop me a note if I can help. Have Fun!!

Dave Decker in Flagstaff, Arizona
M715 Kaiser-Jeep PU, 1 1/4t,4x4
M274/M116t Mechanical Mule, 'Willys', w/mod.gen.trl
82ChvyPU4x4/6.2
82ChvyVan/350
67BlueBird32'/6V53
82HonXL500Dirt
21'V'/4VolvaPenta

Now all I need is an oil well and refinery!!!!!