Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Battery Question

Re: [MV] Battery Question

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:32:00 -0500

Mark,

At 02:00 PM 7/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>. The previous
>owner had a deep cycle battery and a regular battery in place. Lately
>I've been getting a slow drain, it seems. When I turn on the master
>switch there isn't much juice to crank the engine, but if I wait a few
>minutes the batteries seem to "charge up" and I'm able to start. When
>I charge the batteries everything seems fine for a few days. Then it is
>back to the slow/no cranking. So, is it the batteries, the difference
>in type, or could there be a short somewhere?

A number of years ago, I had my '67 Chevy PU set up this way. The batteries
lasted about 18 months before I had more or less the same problem you're having.
I'm not sure if the combination is the problem or maybe the connections I
had or possibly I just had a bad battery, but I've never mixed the two types
again. I've had other batteries go bad, of course.

>Also, any recommendations on what type of batteries to install?
>Cranking amps, deep cycle or regular? The truck has an 100 amp gen.

I'd replace both at the same time. If you choose to replicate the current
set up, check to see that the cranking battery is getting a full charge: it
could be that it's not (because of the deep-cycle) and then it's "siphoning"
charge from it.

Steve Allen, Rolla, MO, USA