Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

RE: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:14:48 -0600

Whoa! That's NOT what I was saying at all. I DON'T think a home-made =
panel is more 'original' than an aftermarket panel.

Perhaps you didn't follow the whole thread (or mixed up my comments with =
someone else's?), but what we were talking about was repairing an =
original Jeep body vs. replacing the entire body (or most of it) with an =
aftermarket body.

I think there's a huge difference between say, replacing a piece of =
rusted out floorboard vs. replacing the whole tub.

Naturally, sometimes a body section is, for practical purposes, beyond =
repair...and maybe you can't get an NOS panel to replace it. Fine, in =
this case even I would use an aftermarket panel...if it fits. Some do, =
some don't.

However, I suspect that you'd agree with me that if you replace all, or =
most, of a vehicle's body with one that was made by a third party, it's =
pretty hard to call it an original vehicle. If you can use third-party =
parts that had the manufacturer's approval or met all of their =
specifications, that might be different.

Alan