Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Crimson's Wheeled Vehicles

Re: [MV] Crimson's Wheeled Vehicles

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:16:40 -0500

At 04:14 PM 7/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Rick,
>
>U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles, chapter 4 covers 4,6, and 8 wheeled armored
>vehicles, including the M8, M20, and others. It does not cover the M3A1,
>presumably because it is a half-track.
>
>Rob Kiser

Rob,

Not to quibble, but the M3 Scout Car was NOT a halftrack (although the M2/M3
series halftracks were derived from it). The M3 Scout Car does LOOK like a
halftrack because they shared front-clip/cab-front sheet metal, but it has 4
wheels (I'm not sure, but I think both axles are driven).

I've heard that there was no M4 version of the Stuart light tanks because
the army wanted to avoid confusion with the M4 Medium tanks, i.e. the
Sherman. It seems they were not so concerned about the M3 Scout Car and the
M3 Halftrack Personnel Carrier.

Steve Allen, Rolla, MO, USA