Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Replacing Rivets

Re: [MV] Replacing Rivets

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:48:43 -0500 (CDT)

>I have been told by some to use carriage bolts or slotted screws and
>solder or fill in the slot, or have the head of a bolt machined to look
>like the head of the rivet.

I wouldn't listen to this advice. Using 'soft' carrage bolts or screws to
put your frame together is not something I would ever do. And if you had
hard slotted screws you are dangeriously close to starting to loose the
temper as you attempt to solder the slot up. Short of using real rivets you
could have a machine shop take some grade 5 heavy bolts and turn the head
into the same shape.

BTW, didn't someone post a description of doing this kind of riveting a
while back???

je