Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Replacing Rivets

RE: [MV] Replacing Rivets

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:39:10 -0600

I agree with Jonathan. Don't use carriage bolts. Most carriage bolts and =
slotted round-head screws are soft (grade 3 or less). IF you don't use =
rivets, I'd suggest grade 8 bolts (yield 128,000 psi) or close-tolerance =
high-tensile bolts. Properly installed rivets are still the best. This =
is an imporant part of your vehicle. As I suggested before, if you can't =
rivet it yourself, have someone bring the proper equipment over and do =
it right. You can spend a little extra now or a LOT extra later.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon [SMTP:jemery@execpc.com]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 1997 9:49 PM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] Replacing Rivets

>I have been told by some to use carriage bolts or slotted screws and
>solder or fill in the slot, or have the head of a bolt machined to look
>like the head of the rivet.=20

I wouldn't listen to this advice. Using 'soft' carrage bolts or screws =
put your frame together is not something I would ever do. And if you =
had
hard slotted screws you are dangeriously close to starting to loose the
temper as you attempt to solder the slot up. Short of using real rivets =
you
could have a machine shop take some grade 5 heavy bolts and turn the =
head
into the same shape.

BTW, didn't someone post a description of doing this kind of riveting a
while back???

je

=3D=3D=3D