Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Other type of Primers

RE: [MV] Other type of Primers

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:27:06 -0600

Hi, Rick,

I don't quite understand why you'd want a clear metal preservative for =
what you're talking about. If you're to going do further bodywork on the =
vehicle, having a good primer on it would NOT present any problem. In =
fact, I think it would be BETTER than a clear preservative. Here's =
why...

For example, let's say you use some kind of clear coating or surface =
treatment. If you were going to use lead to repair a dent instead of, =
say, polyester filler, you would STILL have to remove the clear =
preservative in order to get to clean, bare metal so that the solder =
would bond properly. Likewise with welding...you still need clean, bare =
metal at the juncture of the parts before you weld them. Having a clear =
preservative would make matters worse, because it would make it VERY =
hard to see whether or not you have removed the coating or surface =
layer...

AND...it would also make it very hard to see any places that you missed =
when you were spraying it on...until rust shows up, that is. If it is a =
chemical surface treatment rather than a coating, it might also be =
harder to remove in those places where you need to get to clean base =
metal, requiring abrasive rather than solvent action.

Besides, I'm not personally aware of any clear surface treatments or =
paints that would function in lieu of a primer. The best primers have =
zinc phosphate (or chromate in some countries) or some other solids, =
which are all visible. The closest thing to what you're talking about =
would be something like a thin zinc phosphate wash primer, which is kind =
of translucent, due to its low solids content.

If you were working with ALUMINUM, you could etch and "alodine" it (no, =
I don't mean ANODIZE...that's a different process). The alodine process =
can either produce a clear or slightly golden or greenish surface =
appearance. This is a chemical process that creates a microscopically =
thin oxide(?) layer on the surface of the aluminum, rather than a =
paint-type coating. There may be some problems with disposing of =
leftover alodine chemicals. However, it's an easy process and it's not =
very expensive. But again, before welding aluminum, the surface should =
be cleaned to base metal.

There are other processes that can be used to treat steel, such as =
"Parkerizing," but this is NOT an easy home process and it might not be =
a good idea (to my knowledge, anyway) for items that will be painted. =
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You can see Parkerized steel =
fasteners at the hardware store; they're solid black. They can probably =
be painted OK, but you'll want to find out how well etching primers and =
various paint types will adhere to it before you start experimenting =
with it. There are also "blueing" procedures, such as used on firearms, =
but they often present problems when trying to paint over them and you'd =
STILL have to remove the coating before welding or soldering.

BEWARE of the "rust stop" acrylic polymer resin treatments that convert =
and seal existing rust. They're OK for certain limited applications, but =
they will cause you a lot of grief if one is looking for an 'easy way =
out.' Do NOT spray this stuff on your freshly cleaned tub. But that's =
another discussion entirely...

Anyway, I'd certainly like to know about things that I don't know about. =
If anyone knows of a good, clear, paintable preservative that is a good =
base for primers, let's hear about it!

Regards,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)