Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

SBJohnston@aol.com
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

Richard wrote:

>You have had some good advice on the list and enough to
>keep you going for a while.

Definitely!

>It has been mentioned already but for a few cents try the
> condenser (capacitor) in the distributor, I'd replace it out
>of hand, with _new_ not NOS, then go for the coil if no joy.

Good advice. I'm on my way.

>I had virtually what you describe on the RR lump in the
> Stalwart, perfect start and got lumpier as it warmed
>until you couldn't accelerate the engine and it would die...
>It was the capacitor all along.
>The wrong grade plugs, mis-timing (retarded) or weak
>mixtures can produce the same symptoms owing to plug
>overheat and have experienced them all in the past.

The exhaust of my M38 smells like the mixture is rich, but I've double-and
triple-checked the adjustment.

>You'll probably find out all the things it isn't before you
>find what it is.

Probably so, but with all the tips from the Mil-veh list I shouldn't have to
reinvent the wheel to do it!

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com