Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:41:10 -0600

SBJohnston@aol.com wrote:

> Do you think a sharp tap on the side of the carb would dislodge it? Perhaps
> I'll catch it in the act and try a bit of violence to see if it snaps back
> into proper operation.

I'd say it's a big MAYBE... and allow a moment or two for the fuel pump to refill the fuel
bowl (ie., don't expect instantaneous results). I used this "fix" several years back on a
car for a woman who worked in my office. Last I heard, she still didn't believe it was the
float valve...swore that the new BATTERY she put in fixed the problem...(even though it
was cranking normally, developed a normal spark, fuel pump was working OK, and there was
NO FUEL in the carb) oh, well...you can't convince all of 'em.

> My dad will be proud of me. I can remember "helping" him do a pontiac carb
> rebuild when I was a kid. Before I got the MV fever and bought this M38, I
> thought the advent of fuel injection would be end of carb troubles for me.
> Hahahahahaha... (laughing all the way to the funny farm)

Fuel injection was more fun before it was all controlled by computers. I'll admit that
it's gotten more efficient as a result, but I work with computers all day long. When I get
home I want to play with mechanical things where you can SEE what's happening. That's one
reason I like older vehicles. Actually, the electronic stuff doesn't intimidate me (I know
just enough to be dangerous), but I like the functional beauty of well-ordered mechanical
systems.

So here I am...playing on a computer again...

I guess I'll go set my computerized alarm clock and computerized thermostat and go to bed.

Regards,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)