Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

SBJohnston@aol.com
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:59:52 -0400 (EDT)

Richard wrote:

>Can confirm exactly this effect, my idle was still rough
>after the new capacitor went in but it never got worse
>and would accelerate off-idle instantly

You've got a good point there...I put in a new condenser this evening, but
did not readjust the mixture. I noticed no change in performance. It idled
fine for about 10 minutes, then I took it out on the road and lo and behold!
it started the hesitation, throttle mushy, stalling, then dead bit.

I nursed it back home and decided to take my life in my hands and checked the
fuel pump by pulling the outlet side loose and watching the squirt action
while cranking the engine. Interestingly, it took about a minute of cranking
before I saw any fuel (it had just been exhibiting the symptoms) then the
pulses of fuel were few and sometimes far between. There were a couple good
blasts that shot out 3 feet, but for the most part, it was miserable. It was
really sad to see it go 10 or 15 seconds without a squirt at all.

I think I've found my problem.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com