Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Pat Patterson (a1b01362@ultranet.ca)
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 12:22:37 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:38 AM 02/08/97 -0400, you wrote:

>The M38 runs good on a gravity gas feed, although it is not conclusive since
>it is only idling in the driveway (Even someone as special as me can't drive
>around with the hood up and a gas jug dangling in midair).

remove hood or tie down with somthing wedged under to protect fuel line. as
for gas can tieing it to the wipers works well. just watch the corners. I
can say form exp. that if you are in 4 low going over bumps the gas will
spill. wraping the can with a pice of polly works well ( glad kitchen
catchers didn't tho). I've coverd 150 miles of gravel in this unfortunate way

>I guess I could subsitute an electric fuel pump as a temporary driving test.
> I've never looked for one, but I suppose the auto parts shops might have a
>self-contained12 volt inline pump (do any civilian cars or trucks use that
>type?)

yes but most new ( 86 and up) have fuel injection at about 35 psi so be
careful what you take it from. most Jap imports used electric. ask at a
scrap yard should get one for $10 to $20. good idea to keep one with you on
long trips along with whatever you need to hook it up.

Pat Patterson
'52 M38 CDN "Box 'o' Jeep"
'78 F150
'79 Bronco