Military-Vehicles: Re: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:13:02 -0400 (EDT)

Earlier, I wrote:

>>The M38 runs good on a gravity gas feed, although it is
>>not conclusive since it is only idling in the driveway
>>(Even someone as special as me can't drive
>>around with the hood up and a gas jug dangling in midair).

But I did it last night !! See my perhaps overly-lengthy report on this
madness in other message to the list...

Pat suggested:

> remove hood or tie down with somthing wedged under to
> protect fuel line. as for gas can tieing it to the wipers
> works well. just watch the corners. I can say form exp. that
> if you are in 4 low going over bumps the gas will spill...
> I've coverd 150 miles of gravel in this unfortunate way

I found a plastic gas can at the hardware store that has a vent "nipple" that
a 3/16 - 1/4 " hose can fit over nicely. I fill the can about 2/3 full, tip
it up so that the vent and hose are at the bottom and the main opening in the
can is up high. It ends up a bit like a hospital IV bottle, I guess. It can
sit in the notch near the left headlight, and I guess the hood could come
most of the way down over it if you had something to block it open from
sitting too hard on the can.

Since I was in a bad mood, I left the hood up and "winged" it home. It was
only a few blocks drive thru the neighborhood after midnight, so maybe I
wasn't as much of a daredevil as I envision. Oh well. The only other car I
saw was a township police cruiser. Typical luck. But he paid no attention
to the spectacle I presented. Thanks, copper.

Even tho I *think* I've fixed the problem, it will be a while yet before I
drive the M38 without that gas can and its convenient hose. I don't like
sitting beside the road -- or worse, in an intersection -- it is not good for
the image of a war-winning mil-vehicle like the M38.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com