Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

A.Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Tue, 5 Aug 97 11:55 +0100

>Due to the rust in my gas tank, I want to add a clear in-line filter on the
>fuel line. Is it OK to put a fuel filter before the stock fuel pump, or
>should it be put between the fuel pump and the carburator?
>Rob Kiser

Dear Rob,

the clear in-line filters with a inner filter element made from paper
are built to work between the fuel pump and the carburettor. They
work very well and filter very fine, but they have a high resistance
to the streaming fluid. On the pressure side of the pump this is
no problem, but on the suction side of the pump this can make some
problems. (vapour lock and so on). Those paper filters can also
make problems in fuel systems with gravity feed.

If you want to fit a filter in front of the pump on the suction side,
use a clear in-line filter with a metal (brass?) grid as filter
element. Those filters are for sale at motorbike shops (Nearly every
motorbikes has a gravity feed fuel system).

Regards from Braunschweig (Brunswick), Germany
Andreas Mehlhorn