Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:25:30 -0600

Hi,

A fuel pump can generally tolerate larger particles of crud than the =
carburetor can. The check valves in the pump tend to be self cleaning, =
as long as the particles are small and they aren't sticky or gooey. =
Naturally, larger chunks of debris could become trapped in the check =
valves of the fuel pump or even clog fuel lines. The stock filter on the =
fuel pickup in the fuel tank should keep the larger particles out of the =
fuel lines and pump. To keep finer sediments from building up in the =
carburetor, you'd want to install a finer fuel filter. I would install =
the new filter between the pump and the carburetor. This location would =
make it more convenient to check and service the filter...AND the fuel =
lines...or the pump itself...can be an occasional source of a bit of =
crud that might cause you some problems in the carburetor.

"If it were me" department:

If I had a fuel tank rust problem, I'd remove the tank and have it =
professionally steam cleaned and the loose rust removed (I've heard of =
several different processes for this)...or else buy a new/used tank. =
Many radiator shops offer this service for a pretty reasonable fee. Some =
might even be able to do it while it's on the vehicle...call and ask.

DON'T try cleaning the inside of the tank yourself, unless you REALLY =
know what you're doing. For example, as soon as you remove the fuel =
filter plate on top of the tank, you will have a large opening that will =
allow enough air into the tank to lean out the vapors and create a =
highly explosive mixture! Even the smallest spark of static electricity =
could set it off. I'm being serious...this could cut your military =
vehicle hobby very short.

Good luck with the never-ending battle against rust.

Regards,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)