Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M37 Running Hot

RE: [MV] M37 Running Hot

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 16:37:57 -0600

It's OK to have some black paint on the radiator.

To my knowledge, black is probably the most effective color for =
radiating heat. Not all, but the vast majority of electronic heat sinks =
are now finished with black anodizing.

A very THIN layer of black paint is a GOOD thing. Too much and what you =
end up with is an insulating blanket. Most radiator shops use a thin =
paint with just enough solids to turn the surface black. If there are =
several layers of black paint, it can become a factor.

More typically, radiator efficiency is lost through a lot of rust and =
scale inside the radiator.

I think John's suggestion about checking the water distribution tube is =
a good one.

As I mentioned before, you should check your timing and make sure the =
advance is working properly.

Have fun,

Alan