Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M-43 troubles

Re: [MV] M-43 troubles

Jim Davidson (datadoc@fia.net)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 18:18:42 -0700

Sounds to me like you have one of the following (in order of increasing
pain in the a**):
- Worn out mechanical advance
- Worn out distributor shaft or gear
- worn out cam drive
If the timing is jumping around, you'll never get it to run right. You
can pull the distrubutor out, and take it to a reasonably well equipped
shop, and they can test the advance for you... (maybe something is just
loose...) If it's the cam drive, all kinds of bad things are happening
in there, no wonder it won't run well...

JIM :}
<snip>
> i got the timing light
> going with the clamp on a car plug cable but i had a hard time getting a
> good marker reading. it was
> jumping back and forth under the light so i set it as close as i could
> to the pointer. my timing light does'nt
> have an adjustable dial on it.do i need that to get an accurate reading?
<snip>