Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M37 Running Hot

Re: [MV] M37 Running Hot

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 12:30:50 +0800

> Also, I do not have a thermostat in the engine. I don't believe that
this
> can make it run hot, though, can it?

Hi there Rob,
I have been doing battle with those who believe that running an engine
without a thermostat will make it run cooler for many years.

The designer of your engine put a thermostat in it for a very good reason.
It is designed to control the flow of coolant through the engine and
radiator at a pace which will allow the best possible heat transfer, both
from engine to coolant and from coolant to air via the radiator.

Removal of the thermostat has several effects on different engines. In some
engines, it does indeed make the engine run cooler but usually too cool. In
these cases, the thermal expansion of the metal engine parts does not reach
the limit it is designed for. Consequently, the operating tolerances
between various metal parts remains too tight and greatly accelerated wear
can occur.

On the other side of the coin, removal of the thermostat can make some
engines overheat. The thermostat forms a big restriction in the flow path
of the coolant through your engine. It's removal means that the coolant
travels much faster thought the engine and radiator. Faster means less time
for the heat to transfer to the coolant in the engine and less time for it
to transfer to the radiator and hence the air.

Another major problem that I have found is through scaly deposits building
up in the engine block. This is especially a problem in vehicles that do
not get driven regularly, like many of our mil vehicles. What happens is
that these deposits break away from the block when the engine does get
warmed up and them get carried through to the top tank of the radiator
where they gradually block the radiator tubes. The only answer then is to
back flush the radiator or, preferably, have a radiator shop remove the
tanks and clean it properly.

A tip for everyone, a conical radiator filter fitted on the top radiator
hose is very cheap insurance against overheating problems, especially if
you don't use you vehicle as a daily driver.

I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Rod Diery
Kulin
Western Australia
rod@rocketship.com

1942 Rover Armoured Car (Next year's project)
1953 FV1801 Austin Champ (Completed in about 2 months)
1960 Ferret (only half and very sad condition)