Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Brake Lines

Re: [MV] Brake Lines

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 09:08:41 -0600

Robert Bell wrote:

> I need to replace the brake fluid lines on my 2 1/2 ton '43 Federal
> truck. I can't afford stainless steel, so will use standard steel
> lines. While pre-cut lines are available in most auto parts stores, a
> friend has suggested that I buy a 25 foot coil of line and fittings and
> make my own. Is the line that one gets in a 25 foot coil (steel coated
> copper??) as good (heavy/safe) as the pre-cut lines? Also, where can I
> find new rubber brake hoses? Thanks.

Hi, Robert,

Don't use anything but APPROVED MATERIALS for brake lines. If you make them yourself, use
steel brake line tubing and use a bending tool that is correct for the diameter tubing you
are using. Otherwise you'll kink the lines and even if you don't block or restrict the
flow, it will cause what could be termed a "stress riser" that may eventually lead to a
crack at that point. All bends should be smooth and avoid bending the lines back and forth
multiple times.

A good flaring tool will do a nice job on steel brake lines. Practice on some pieces first
until you manage to duplicate a factory flare. You can also have custom brake lines made
up...any good brake shop should be able to do it, and it shouldn't cost very much. You can
also buy steel lines with the protective wire wrapping that you often see on some
vehicles.

By the way, I don't think that "steel-coated" copper lines exist. At least I've never
heard of such a thing, and I can't imagine how they would be made. Please correct me if
I'm wrong about this. Copper lines could be tinned, but steel-coated...I doubt it.

Steel lines (the non-stainless ones) are usually tinned with some combination of
tin/zinc/lead for corrosion protection. They also bend quite easily and thus may be
mistaken for coated copper. Cutting the line will expose the inner metal so you can tell
for sure. Again, use steel...don't use copper.

Alan Bowes
(Salt Lake City, Utah)