Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Physics vs. Radiators

RE: [MV] Physics vs. Radiators

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 15:13:37 -0600

Well, I guess we disagree on the reason why, but the end result is still =
the same: Removing a thermostat can cause overheating in some engines.
Alan Bowes
(Salt Lake City, Utah)

-----Original Message-----
From: flashpoint@theonramp.net [SMTP:flashpoint@theonramp.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 1997 12:24 PM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] Physics vs. Radiators

I'm not a rocket scientist but I do know about overheating Jeep
engines. This may not apply to "ALL" Jeeps but it does apply to the
WWII vintage and I would think all other early flat-heads.
Without a thermostate the water circulates to quickly to cool in the
radiator because it is not held there long enough. What this leads to
is your engine rapidly circulating hot water that will only get hotter
as you work the vehicle. =20
A blown thermostat locked in the "OPEN" position is better than no
thermostat becuase it at least restricts the flow of water and allows
hot water to cool. This should be apparent to anyone with a jeep since
the thermostat opens and closes by temperature when the engine itself
becomes hot. (Mine opens around 165-170F) =20
David Gordon
Texas - Where its Hot