Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M-43 troubles

Re: [MV] M-43 troubles

Jim Hodgson (jhodgson@cadvision.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:13:45 -0600

----------
> From: Hayes-Holgate, Shaun <SHayesHolg@ea.com>
> To: 'mil-veh@skylee.com'
> Subject: [MV] M-43 troubles
> Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 6:08 PM
>
> this past weekend i took the advice from the list and insulated my fuel
> lines to prevent vaporlock
> and golly would'nt you know it but i think it worked. maybe it was just
> me being too hopeful but i'm sure
> it was easier to start after a run in the hot sun. two other things i
> did was a compression test and set
> the timing.the compression test gave me 90 psi on all cylinders so i
> figure thats fine. i got the timing light
> going with the clamp on a car plug cable but i had a hard time getting a
> good marker reading. it was
> jumping back and forth under the light so i set it as close as i could
> to the pointer. my timing light does'nt
> have an adjustable dial on it.do i need that to get an accurate reading?
> this is all a vain attempt to restore
> the engine to full power.i get a good idle but as soon as i rev high it
> coughs and sputters and backfires.
> i've got new plugs,new points,condensor,good batteries,rebuilt carb,new
> regulator,a steady fuel flow after
> the fuel filter,air filter ok,fuel cap off, idle screw set,but still i
> get weak accelerator response. next i'll test the
> coil but then i'm out of ideas. the plugs have a slight black sooty
> deposit but nothing like the caked on soot
> photos you'll see in manuals so i'm thinking their ok. i'm scratching
> my head. any thoughts?

Hi,
I had a similar problem while restoring my 43 GPW. I replaced all the
plugs,wires,cap,rotor,points,coil,condenser etc and it ran fine while
idling but when I tried driving it for the first time , I had the same
problems
you mentioned. A mechanic I took it to said that the distributor needed
rebuilding, so I took the distributor to a local shop to have it rebuilt.
The mechanic here immediately said that the problem was that the breaker
arm spring
clip was not stiff enough, ie. the metal piece that contacts the rotating
shaft was
not stiff enough to allow the points to close properly (the rotating shaft
held them open).
He put in a stiffer one and the engine runs fine.
Hope this helps.

Jim Hodgson
Airdrie , Alberta