Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

Pat Patterson (a1b01362@ultranet.ca)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sun, 06 Aug 1995 22:52:06
To: Alan Bowes <alan_bowes@phast.com>
From: Pat Patterson <a1b01362@ultranet.ca>
Subject: RE: [MV] M37 Fuel Filter

>If I had a fuel tank rust problem, I'd remove the tank and have it
professionally steam cleaned and the loose rust removed (I've heard of
several different processes for this)..

Using the hot tank solution discused last week you could do a good job, yes?
not sure about how it would react to having gas put back in tho...??

>DON'T try cleaning the inside of the tank yourself, unless you REALLY know
what you're doing. For example, as soon as you remove the fuel filter plate
on top of the tank, you will have a large opening that will allow enough air
into the tank to lean out the vapors and create a highly explosive mixture!
Even the smallest spark of static electricity could set it off. I'm being
serious...this could cut your military vehicle hobby very short.

This is actualy easyer than most people think. First make sure tank is
empty, then remove from vehical. With it sitting on the ground you now have
2 options. 1 is 100% safe but messy other has other dangers

1) fill with water and then open filter plate (I prefer this one)

2) fill with inert gas eg; exhaust :) just make sure vehical is lean and
that YOU have adequate air to breathe.

I use the first to open and for most repairs. But welding and water dont mix
so you have to drain some water and then fill the empty space with exaust.

an old computer fan and some plastic dryer vent hose (New) makes a good
fresh air suply under hood for arc or hung by a string around the neck for
oxy-fuel.
( on hot days its nice just because :) ) Just make sure that the intake
is sucking clean air .

oh ya I should pass along the note of fear that was passed to me when I was
shown this Expect the gas to blow have a charged hose within arms reach or
better someone holding it pointed at you. and wear leathers.
Pat Patterson
'52 M38 CDN "Box 'o' Jeep"
'78 F150
'79 Bronco