Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] RE brake lines

Re: [MV] RE brake lines

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:12:10 -0500

>Mike wrote: To my
>knowledge, in the US copper is not certified by DOT (Dept. of Trans.),
>and is not sold as replacement brake line in any auto parts store.
>

>> Hi , several people have mentioned not to use copper brake lines . In
Scotland
>> it's standard motor trade practice to fit copper / nickel? alloy lines sold
>> as "KUNIFER" .Most folks refer to these as "copper " brake pipes . In fact
>> when I think about it , in my previous life ,14 years working in garages
large
>> and small (good and bad)+ fairly serious motor sport activities I've
never seen
>> a steel brake pipe fitted as a replacement.
>>
>> CHAZ 42 MB

Is this the same DOT that declares M151s and HMMWVs are unsafe to drive on
the highways? The same one that insisted high-speed and -pressure airbags
were safe for all passengers? The same one that allows highway bridges to rot?

I'm NOT questioning YOUR experience, Mike, but don't regard the DOT as a
paragon of safety virtue. All those Scots must know something.

Steve Allen, Rolla, MO USA