Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] re: land train

Re: [MV] re: land train

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:28:40 +0930

Doug wrote:
> Don't have any info on the American Land Train, but the term "Land Train"
> is still in use today in Australia.
> MAN vehicle. The truck has a big "LAND TRAIN" sign on the front to be in
> compliance with Australian law (similar to "WIDE LOAD" sign).

1/2 right. The term is actually "Road Train" I have never heard the term
"Land Train" used in Australia. It sounds like an american translation
me.

"Road Trains" require a special drivers licence over and above that
which
a normal semi-trailer driver (tractor trailer rig in american english)
needs. There are limits to the areas that they can be driven, it is not
uncommon to see a road side sign as you approach the more populace areas
saying that that point is as far as the Road Train can go. The drivers
then
have to drop off a trailer and shuttle the trailers the rest of the way
singularly. Considering that it is quite the norm to see road trains
passing through town (I am in the "outback" 700 miles west of Sydney)
they still impress size wise. Watching a driver try and untangle one
at any of the local roundabouts is entertaining as our local council
has set them up so that a skilled driver can get through but heaven help
the "average" driver. One bloke didn't try he just drove straight
through;
pine logs, garden and water system did not prove to be an obstacle!

In this area they allow 2 trailers, but
further out into the "bush" you can strike up to 3 trailers and I have
heard
tell of specific areas in Western Australia where up to 5 trailers can
be encountered. No thank you: as a normal 2 trailer road train is bad
enough to overtake on the open road - too damn long. You also need to
keep in mind that a small correction on the steering wheel results in
the
rear most trailer moving at least 1 foot sideways on a 2 trailer setup.
3 trailers and above are just too damn unpredictable!

None of the prime movers (tractor rigs) appear to be out of the
ordinary,
all the ones I have seen are the normal offerings of Macks etc, just
that
they are the very powerfull versions.

The military uses "Road Trains" also but these are far less common all
the
ones I have seen are leased Volvo prime movers.

Regards
Doug

P.S. Take everything you read in the press and see on the media about
Australia with a large dose of salt. We never cease to be amazed at the
drivel that appears about Australia and then gets sold back to our
own media!

M8 & Other Armoured Vehicles
_______
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville