Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] re: land train

Re: [MV] re: land train

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 20:47:24 -0700

ge
> > Gordon,
> >
> > Thank you for naming your WC56 after my daughter!
> > I drove my GPW to work for a whole week, most people thought it was a
> > "Nekaf" (Dutch licence produced M-38A1).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Auke Dijkstra
> > Haaksbergen the Netherlands
> Auke:
> Do you happen to have a foto of your Nekaf you could email me or post
> somewhere so I could download it...how close a copy of M38A1 is it?
>
> Thank you either way...
>
> Fred Mason (my 1st wife was from Rotterdam and I was last in Nederland
> in 1970)
> 1952 M38A1 S/N 18432

Fred,

I drove in a '44 Ford GPW, most people in the neighbourhood don't know
the difference between a M-38A1 (nekaf) and a Willys MB. They think that
every green jeep is a Nekaf because it's the most common jeep in Holland
at the moment. The Dutch Army got rid off them the last few years, and
they became very popular in the MV-clubs. The Nekaf is a M-38A1 produced
in The Netherlands from '55 to about '60 they are exactly the same as
the American M-38A1's except for some small changes in the lights etc.
the Dutch Army took good care off them and when they were sold, most
Nekafs could be driven home, straight out of the Army Depot, with their
new owners without making a single repair. I don't have a photograph for
you, but I will see what I can do.